Saturday, December 29, 2018

DECEMBER BOOK REVIEW- ACOTAR

This December has been filled with my exhausting obsession with a new trilogy I've recently started. I have to say, even in my dreams I'm unable to be rid of it. So what book exactly that's got me this hooked? 

It's "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas

Simply said, I'd love to ramble about the whole trilogy but for now I'll focus only on the first book. The genre is basically a fantasy-romance of adventures where the world is separated into two lands by a border, one being the mortal lands and the other being faerie lands, Prythian was the name. It takes place in a world where mortals fear the faerie beings with legends, myths, and stories of the brutality and heartlessness of faeries. The common knowledge etched into mortals' mind is that faeries can be hurt by iron, and that they cannot ever lie. Whether it's true or not, those mortals who have crossed the wall (a border between the two lands) have never returned to the mortal lands again.


[the map]

Thus, we come to the main protagonist, a young huntress, the youngest of three sisters living in a shack with poverty cowering over them with their disabled father. Once, they were people of wealth living shamelessly, but the actions of their father in causing debt doomed them to their lowest. With the shortage of food and no action taken by the father or sisters to avoid it, the youngest , Feyre, took her first kill, becoming the first of many. 

Their shack stood so close to the wall with forests of trees in between them. Common knowledge and fear of the faeries deemed them to know and fear what could be lingering within the forests. But desperation struck them and Feyre risked hunting in the woods. 

On her hunt, she caught eyes on a wolf preying on the same deer as she. Warnings of faeries would've kept a saint hunter from disturbing such predator lingering in the forest, but Feyre felt she had no choice and shot an arrow into the wolf and alongside, also killed the deer, her main prey. The wolf put up no fight and simply gazed into Feyre's eyes as if it was content with dying. 

Afterwards, finished with her hunt, Feyre skinned the wolf to be sold and took the deer home. But little did she know, what killing a wolf would later cost her. That night, with a knock upon her door, Feyre was taken to the Prythian land into the Spring Court and met with Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, Lucien, his emissary and servants. Never, was she to return. 

I mainly fell in love with this book because Feyre is such a badass, she has her feminine side but her strength physically and mentally is just powerful. She'll do what she sets her mind on to. Being in the Spring Court she was allowed free roaming, making counters with other sorts of creatures such as the naga, puca, the suriel, and the bogge. It was also here that she learnt the truth of faeries, the lies the old faeries fed the mortals, on how iron doesn't actually affect them, and that they could lie just as well. Like all stories go, Feyre was bound to fall in love with the masked man, the High Lord Tamlin of Spring Court. Thing is, about a lot of pages at start, she thought Tamlin was just another High Fae, upon snarling the Suriel at some point in the book, that was when she discovered the real position of his. 

Before things get blurry, here it is.
The Suriel is an ancient being, who'll tell you anything, IF you catch it, and with the right answers, because it knows everything (so yes, that's why I stan Feyre so much, she's a mortal yet she caught a Suriel). 
[the Suriel]

The bogge will lure you into what you like and seduce you into looking behind, because once you look, you'll see, and when you can see that is when it can kill you.
The puca is much like the bogge but that you can see it and it'll kill you very slowly if you happen to approach and get your hands on it.
The naga, is like an animal that can talk, walk on two feet and simply ultimately the epitome of creepiness.
[the Naga]

The Attor is a creature that loyally serves a queen of evil during the time of this book
[the Attor]

The Archerons, Feyre the youngest of three siblings, the eldest being Nesta who is a cold-hearted lady with strong will, and the second is Elain, a sof-spoken and sweet lady protected highly by dearest Nesta.
[from the left; Elain, Nesta and Feyre]

Feyre now stuck in Tamlin's court is forced to make out the best of her time here and learn to let go. Her responsibility in ensuring that her family was safe was said to be due to a vow to her mother before she passed away. Although, Tamlin and Lucien both reassured her on the safety of her family, she still couldn't keep still, I mean who would really if the faeries that mortals feared so much are now in your presence, I wouldn't be fine at all.

[Tamlin to the left and Lucien to the right]

Having nothing to do, all Feyre did was hunting with Lucien, eavesdropping on the two's "secret" conversations of Prythian's problems, and falling in love with Tamlin.
As days passed by, the more Feyre heard, the more she discovered that Prythian itself was falling apart, and the more she heard of this "queen" that caused such fear in Tamlin, the one person she knew so strong. Ahead she went, and the journey continued on. Through swords, bows and arrows, traps, lies, deceive, resentment, she lived and died and the story went on. 

The book was of all sorts, drama, adventure etc. but for sure, it brought me to tears, it brought out anger and pain. It's a book that truly got to me, and not many could ever achieve such.

Unfortunately for me, I brought this book along on my 16 day trip around Thailand and being me I finished it in only a short time span which caused me a lot of stress due to not being able to continue the trilogy :') but my desperation to read led me to find the continuation online. Currently, I'm halfway through the third book and I've been in hyper mood all month due to these novels. My addiction of this also had me going through fan arts and memes of the novel, which also attracted me to a bestselling series also by Sarah J. Maas titled "Throne of Glass". I'll surely be reading that by the time I've completed my final year at MRSM TAR and specifically-SPM :') 

Mentionung my Thailand trip, tune in for the next entry for some spice of that ;)

Cheerio readers !

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Christchurch Mosque Shooting

it was one of the heaviest weight I felt in my heart. For as long as I have known, Christchurch had been peaceful, the people, the environ...